Friday, September 4, 2009

Commitment

One of the things that should mark those of us who are believers in Jesus Christ is commitment. I mean Jesus did say "Simply let you 'yes' be 'yes' and your 'no' be 'no' which implies a level of commitment to keep your promises in Matthew 5:24. In a day and age where so many are so likely to change a plan, an appointment, or a marriage because something better comes up, that might be a word we need to revisit from time to time.

If you say you are going to do something, then you should do it. If you say when you are going to do it, you should get it done by the time you said or explain what extreme circumstances prevented you from keeping your word. My dad used to repeat the old expression to me time and time again, "A real man is a man of his word." Maybe the old timers had it right. I never remember one of my father's friends ever saying they were going to do something and then just "forgetting" or "just didn't think about it again." So maybe it's time we do the same, even when it is not the easiest thing to do or something better comes along. Maybe the opportunity isn't worth seizing if it means we have to go back on our word to seize it.

My wife and I watch Big Brother together. It's one of my concessions to get her to watch sports with me. It always seems that whatever a player on that shows says is destined to be proven as less than the truth. I'm sure most of the contestants are not that way in "real life" but they all will say one thing to a player's face and then stab them in the back to win the prize and most of the time go back on their word in the process. That's why I wouldn't want to be on that show. Survivor, heck yes! Amazing Race, let's go. Big Brother, no thanks. I don't want to have to break a commitment to someone in order to advance in a game!

But how often do we break a commitment to get something in life? We break with our commitment to our husbands or wives because we want to get something new and exciting. We break with our employer because we want to get a few more dollars. We break with our friends because someone else invites us to do something a bit more exciting. I think that might be one reason the unbelievers don't really look at our lives with a more jealous longing. We don't really keep our commitments better than anyone else. So when we say we are their friend regardless and then do something that breaks that commitment, we do more than harm a friendship, we hinder the kingdom of God from coming in power and fulfillment. Let's make a commitment to be committed to being people of our word. Whatever the cost may be. Want to join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment